The sisterhood of Alpha Chi Omega was founded on October 15, 1885 at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. Alpha Chi was originally founded as a society for women within the school of music, but soon after, because of its popularity, opened its membership to all collegiate women.
Alpha Chi Omega's Founders chose "Alpha," the first letter of the Greek alphabet, because they were forming the first fraternity in the school of music. Since they thought they might also be founding the last such fraternity, "Omega" seemed appropriate. "Kai," meaning "and," was added to form the beginning and the end. "Kai" was soon changed to "Chi," a letter of the Greek alphabet.
To this date, Alpha Chi Omega has over 132 collegiate chapters with more then 170,000 members and 200 alumnae chapters. Alpha Chi has been in Texas since 1924, and presently has 13 collegiate chapters in the state of Texas alone.
7 volleyball players who were a part of Delta Chi Omega longed to be a part of a National Sorority. They began preparing by sending in pictures, a portfolio, recommendations and other materials to Alpha Chi Omega National Headquarters. Shortly thereafter Alpha Chi Omega came to Houston Baptist University and offered these girls a chance to officially become Alpha Chis On November 12, 1993 Delta Chi Omega Officially became Alpha Chi Omega, and since then we have been an integral part of the Greek system.
For more information, use our contact form or send us a direct e-mail. We look forward to hearing from you!
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay in touch and learn about upcoming events.